Adam
Schmittinger
L&I 120
Sec 001
Information
Ethics and Technology
Blog #3
“Smart Houses” seem like a good
idea to me. I found chapter 12 in Tavanni to be a very good read when talking
about the current technology and future problems that will be associated with
AmI. Can the technology be useful in our everyday lives? Sure.
Will having all the small, annoying, repetitive parts of our day really help us
out in the long run?
As with
all technology it can be used for the good of the world but at the same time
relying on stuff like smart houses and computers to make our lives simpler may
have a larger impact than we are hoping.
We can already see with the technology that we have today more and more
people are finding less and less reasons to leave their house. Less and less actual face to face social
interaction is taking place and this is with the limited technology we have
today. If we truly had no need to leave
the house I wonder if we would.
The book
states that we as a culture are becoming very technologically dependent which could
lead to many bad things. Increasing our dependency on technology to much could
lead to us not knowing how to complete the tedious things we do now on a daily
basis. These tedious little jobs we have
to accomplish are what keeps our brains stimulated and give us a sense of
accomplishment. If we take the tasks
away and let a computer do them what will happen to us? Will we find other
things to use our brains on or just lose that ability to function without the
machines?
Having
said the negatives I do see many benefits to this technology that may outweigh
the negatives. Things like automated grocery
lists, adjusting the lights to our specified intensity, or even turning on my
computer when I get home are all conveniences that I think I would enjoy.
Having a house that could call the ambulance on its own in case of an accident
would be a lot safer for an older couple. Or the fire department when I am away from my
house and something happens. There are many benefits to a “smart house” that
would make a lot of peoples’ lives much simpler.
As long
as we don’t lose sight that machines are there to help us with our daily lives
not take over we will be safe.
Technology over the years has for the most part improved people’s daily
lives and made the world a safer place to be in. As long as people don’t depend
too much on machines and keep things in perspective I am looking forward to the
technology that will be developed in my lifetime.
No comments:
Post a Comment