The
reading from the past few weeks was quite a bit more interesting than previous
weeks. I really liked the variety of material we were given, it’s nice to get
outside of the books and breach into some more up to date reading. There were
several readings that really sparked my interests.
First
off I had never really fully understood the WikiLeaks situation. I’ve heard a
lot of buzz about it in the past and some people I know have said some pretty
terrible things about Julian Assange but I never asked why. The “No Secrets”
article was incredibly interesting and well written. It really painted a clear
picture of Julian and the WikiLeaks. My opinion on the subject is mostly neutral,
I don’t find that WikiLeaks is the most terrible thing in the world but I also
find that some of the “Leaks” are somewhat unnecessary such as the various War
Logs. I feel that society is probably better off without leaking because it’s
not really doing a whole lot of good overall, at least in my opinion.
Another
reading I found interesting was “5 Reasons Twitter Isn’t Actually Overthrowing
Governments.” Cracked has always been an interesting site and I was glad to see
it included in our reading. The article worked to dethrone social networking’s
status as a great tool for organizing protests and other such things. It also
detailed how social networking can cause incorrect information to spread like
wildfire. I found this particularly interesting because it made me realize just
how easy it is to say anything you want and broadcast it instantly to large
amounts of people. I was shocked to find out that tweets have been used as
valid sources of information. I had no idea that reporters were using Twitter
to source “facts.” One specific example that blew my mind was how reports had
been quoting tweets from protestors about the Egyptian protests, but some of
the protesters weren’t even there. It’s funny that we’ve come to a point where
we will put so much weight on something someone posts online. In this day in
age we really need to be more judgmental with the information we read. It
really makes me wonder how much of the information I read daily is actually
accurate. I hope we do not lose our ability to judge the validity of
information.
The
material from the past few weeks has certainly altered how I look at
information. I think we all become so used to reading information online that
we don’t always step back and question its validity. I hope we continue to dive
into material that I can so easily relate to my everyday life.
I agree that there is a lot of dis-information out there in the media and that we need to be very careful on what we absorb as the truth and how credible that information is. At the same time, I choose bury my head in the sand and believe that more information makes me more informed, by keeping an open mind, and hearing the viewpoints with those I disagree with - I learn.
ReplyDelete