Sunday, March 18, 2012

Blog Post 2


Over the course of the past few weeks many of the articles that we have read were very interesting to me in some way or another.  One topic that intrigued me was the concept of privacy and the three different types of privacy Accessibility, Decisional, and Informational Privacy.  Until I read that section in Chapter 5 Tavani the thought of separating privacy into those categories never came to me.  I began to see different situations where the different types of privacy were being broken.  One example being the gossip newspapers at your local Walmart and the pictures they show of celebrities in all kinds of settings which violates Accessibility Privacy.  It surprised me just how little privacy we have these days in our day to day lives.
Another section that really interested me was the section on Anonymous.  After watching the video and reading the articles for class I decided to do a little more digging to find out what I could of the movement.  After watching several videos on Youtube and reading over news articles and blog posts I would like to think I have a better idea of just what these people are trying to achieve.  That being just chaos and disruption of the government and anyone else they feel deserves to be thrown into the limelight and judged.  I started out liking how the movement seemed to punish the bad people in society and make others aware of just what was going on but as I read and researched I couldn’t really find a set goal of Anonymous and it seemed the more I learned about the movement the less I really understood about what was going on.  The lack of coordination and the vastly different set of goals of the group seem to be its weak point.   Sure they can make some changes in how some things are dealt with and sure companies are afraid of being hacked but really what are they doing?  I don’t know like I said I still don’t understand the real reason they do what they do and probably never will.
The section on developing nations and the effect of social media didn’t really appeal to me very much.  Personally I think as a nation we spend way too much time trying to fix the world and we ignore all the problems we have at home.  Are there starving people in other countries? Sure. Are there starving people in the U.S.? You better believe it. Facebook, Twitter, and Myspace really have no place in my life so a section discussing this type of media just didn’t appeal to me.  Do I care that people are in a rough place in other countries? Sure I do. But I got enough hardship and struggling in my own life at the moment to worry about others.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admire your feelings on the developing nations. Taking care of our homeland may be a nice place to focus. It seems elitist that we are better equipped to help than other countries when it comes to the social injustices that we see all around us in our own country.

    ReplyDelete