Looking at more than one side of ethical situations from Ess, Tavani and our discussion boards helps me look at things differently than just having the text pose an open ended question leaving me to ponder what I think fits best. I can take more from learning more than one viewpoint. Reading the scenarios and applying theory to them is invaluable.
This week the discussion boards and the readings really hit home on choices that you make on the internet on leveraging things for free. I will think, observe my family’s decisions, and share information more in hopes of providing more context behind getting music and movies from people and places we shouldn’t!
I know that there are IP breaches in my company and we make employees sign an agreement when they start and when taking a promotion they need to sign a new one. There are times that we will investigate and IP issue years after an employee leaves and having that document is a significant part of our case. I would like to learn more about our IP cases – are they from a technological compromise or physical/verbal theft.
Discussion that I have had with peers, family and friends regarding ethics comes up often and in regards to this class we discuss cyber bullying, downloading information, and challenging each other’s feelings on what is right and wrong. The other thing that is a common hmmmm would be the cross cultural differences and how to begin to look at what that looks like to us in our everyday lives.
Learning about ethical theories such as the utilitarianism and deontology frameworks are at the very core for understanding how someone relates to an ethical situation. Both are discussed in depth in Ess, Ch. 6 and Tavani, Ch. 2. In my opinion, we will see more of Moor’s Just-Consequentialist Theory to help societies explore how to reach common understandings by using “deliberate and select” steps in the future (Tavani, 70).
Creative Commons is intriguing to me. I think I get the concept but how it can be enforced and paying another party to manage it isn’t something that I am sold on. Is it sustainable? (Ess 77; Creative Commons: http://creativecommons.org/about)
Ess talks about the photocopied version of a book he received from his students in Thailand as a sign of respect for both the author and to him and the way they personalized the cover reflects not only consequentialist reasoning in our society, but the Confucian tradition in the students society (Ess, 85). That is a great take away on what we need to learn to deal with in ethics within a global society.
No comments:
Post a Comment