As I progress in the reading, it has had me focus in on a lot is the different situations that are present in ethical issues with technology. One idea that stood out to me was Tavani’s argument that we need ethical theories on page 53. That was the hardest thing to think about so far in the class. Though I believe that it could be useful to base ideas off these theories, I think it’s hard to have a basis when it comes to theories. On top of this how much cultures view morals and what is ethically wrong so differently, it is hard to set a middle ground.
I feel that learning about different point of views has given me more to think about. In the discussion different ideas have been mention to show how cultures are so different. One person talked about how suicide could be seen as honorable as a sacrifice. That is crazy because of how negative it is looked upon in the United States. Then we read about how in Asia it isn’t illegal to pirate and how bad it is here. Off that idea, I think that taking something from a culture where it is free should be seen as a loophole because technology there it is fine and we are not in charge of the world.
I do think it makes me think about pirate as being more wrong. It has made me think about it more in a negative way, but at the same time has made me think it is less stealing then causing the artist or producer to gain more money. I still do believe that stealing an actual cd is worse because you are stealing a product that was bought, the cd and case, and not making them directly lose money. With that idea, how is it when you copy a file you get more of a penalty. So in relating this to life, I feel that I have learned the different ways to take the idea of what is ethically right. Also to not judge others and from that reading think it is more wrong to judge off what ours says. We need to remember just because we have laws doesn’t mean we know the answers.
No comments:
Post a Comment