The first four weeks of class have been quite interesting for me. This may be a little wordy or detailed, but let's see. Reading others post opened me up to many thoughts of being morally right, wrong, and just what ethics really consist of. Some of the post from others were great. Some just seemed to be post that were made to try and get credit.
I must admit that I think I made a post that had the right idea and was on track to make the right point but it just did not come out right. I did attempt to correct that. Overall I find that this is a little more in depth compared to how the introduction videos by the instructor presented the posting to be. Again probably just my mistake on what was being conveyed in the message. The instructor presented information and I did not grasp it correctly. I think I am on point though now.
Just reading others post, I have learned how others interpret what ethics is to them or how they perceive it to be. That itself I find quite interesting as it shows individuality of each person. I believe out of the first 4 weeks of class I have liked week 3's discussion the most. The question were more easily understood. Week 4 has been a bit tough for me. The readings seem a little wordy.
Something else I have found to be quite interesting is that as time has went on it appears I learning something new about this class that I did not know beforehand even after reading the syllabus multiple times. I guess that is all part of learning. Something I was not expecting is to be challenged/engaged by the instructor for one of the post I made. I was like what did I say or do wrong. After I read the post I see where it got away from me at. I guess I thought I was back in the philosophy 101 class and forgot I was in an IT ethics class. The engagement actually opened my eyes to see what I need to do for the class to make sure this is a success for me.
Another odd thing that happened this past we was I got to me my team members for my senior capstone for Information Technology. We discussed our group project. The topic of software came up and one member mentioned he had a copy of Adobe probably not legit but working on his laptop. We all laugh and said you know you can get a legit copy for free for being part of the BSIT program/Microsoft Alliance. He did not know that. My thought is he was given this copy of software or either downloaded it as pirated. Now I'm not judging anyone but I found interesting that I am taking an IT ethics class right now and some of the recent topics have been just about this type of stuff. This just left me whit the open though of um, I wonder if he had take the I.T. ethics class.
So my overall take on these past few weeks is intellectual property belongs to who? You buy it, is it yours? You get it from a friend, does that make it illegal. You download it just to try it out and if you like then buy. What's ethically right, ethically wrong. I guess the big picture here is what service does the digital media of another provide for another? And if this service actually has utility should it be protected? From Tavani, pg. 53, why do we need ethical theories may give answer to these questions. "Ethical theory, like scientific theory , provides us with a framework for analyzing moral issues via scheme that is internally coherent and consistent as well as comprehensive and systemic."
With that said if we use that above explanation we can assume that intellectual property is that of the owner who created it and should be treated as that even when distributed or shared. But for others this may differ so I ask what do you all think.
No comments:
Post a Comment