Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Reflections: Part I


This first period of instruction has been enlightening and frustrating for me in a sense. Prior to this course, I had some knowledge of what philosophical arguments are and how they are classified. I figured ethics in information science and technology simply consisted of a concrete, clear-cut set of standards that are to be followed in order to be in compliance with the law. But now I understand that it goes way beyond that. Little did I know is what an overwhelming effect it plays a role in cyberspace and information technology.
We started by covering the meaning of ethics and where it is derived from. Then, we quickly transitioned into multiple theories and how they can be interpreted and applied in any given situation. Basically, we are being taught how to form and reinforce arguments properly. This has been effective in a sense, but also has become somewhat confusing. In my opinion, it seems as if there is really no “right” answer to any argument. It seems like the only way to win an argument is to have it with oneself, which can still leave one in a daze.
From personal experience and observations, I tend to lean toward/support the theory of cultural relativism. Cultural relativism is defined in as moral system that is dependent on, or relative to, a particular culture or group (Tavani, 50). This theory can really help us with our misconception of other cultures and their belief systems and habits. Beliefs like religion, which seems to play a major role in almost everything, and government, which is constantly being debated. Tie in all the information technology and distribution and now there’s a big problem!
This is where information ethics comes into play. It provides philosophical ideologies as templates to raise the necessary level of critical thinking that needs to be applied when dealing with situations that are “ethically challenging.” There have been numerous dilemmas regarding who is the brain trust behind all things intellectual with the exorbitant amount of information and technology combined advancements over the past few decades. I don’t think this course will solve the issues, but I think it will get us to think more critically before we are quick to judgment regarding any of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment