So far, the readings that have engaged me the most are those
on intellectual property. It’s a fascinating subject, and it’s the first real
issue we’ve tackled so far in this course. I actually had the opportunity to discuss
it briefly with a friend. The friend said she likes to make copies of her DVDs,
one set for campus and one set for home. I mentioned I was in this class and
brought up that it is legal to make one copy of electronic material for
archiving purposes, and that many people like to make extra copies of their CDs
(for their cars, for example, in case of sun damage or theft). I told her I
didn’t think it was unethical at all and what she was doing isn’t considered
piracy or theft, since she purchased the DVDs and isn’t intending to
redistribute the copies. She was pretty relieved, and seemed surprised that
what she was doing wasn’t illegal. I think the millennial generation, having
grown up with illegally copied VHS movies and cassette tapes, almost expects
everything concerning copying, downloading, etc. to be illegal at this point.
While I have already contemplated this topic independently
of this course, I still learned quite a bit about the current laws around the
world, and how these laws are evolving with technology. I’ve always wanted to
come up with a grand solution to the issue, some new, inventive way of keeping
everyone happy. Our readings (and videos/articles) have been informative enough
that I think my arguments are stronger than before, and I’ve come to a much
better understanding of the way copyright is viewed around the world. Thailand,
the Confucian mindset and the Ubuntu mindset of sharing as a form of respect
(the author having inclusive rights rather than exclusive) was very
interesting.
My technology behaviors will not be changing, as I still
disagree with a few laws that are currently in place (and I’m not doing anything
I’d consider unethical). There were a few areas from the discussion this week
that surprised me: the general agreement that Open Source software is positive,
Microsoft preferring you pirate their software over anyone else’s, and the gray
area concerning copyright jurisdiction. In conclusion, I’m excited for the next
few weeks and the material we’ll be covering!
No comments:
Post a Comment